British Airways lounge at Washington Dulles International Airport. Photo courtesy of British Airways.
I had the chance to hang out at Washington Dulles International Airport on Oct. 2 for the start of new service to London on British Airways. The UK’s flag carrier will fly the new service with the gigantic Airbus A380 double-decker aircraft. Below are 10 interesting facts you may not know about all classes of service on the aircraft. Enjoy!
1. The aircraft has 18 lavatories. The two in first class are bigger than my first apartment (not really, but almost). 2. First class passengers not only have a large overhead bin, but they have a closet that fits a roller bag and a suit jacket or coat, and there’s a storage drawer for things like glasses or electronic devices.
3. Passengers sitting in the window seat in economy on the upper deck have a locker against the fuselage that offers extra storage space. 4. Seats in all classes have USB ports and universal sockets to keep electronic devices powered.
5. The inflight entertainment system includes more than 1,600 hours of movie and television programing from around the world, along with more than 550 audio albums and 225 radio shows and a range of audio books.
6. Passengers can play games against fellow travelers and do in-seat chats.
7. The World Traveler Plus premium economy seat offers 38-inch pitch, a footrest, increased recline position, hammock headrest and a cocktail table.
8. Even coach passengers get to eat, with a three-course meal, an open free bar and bar snacks. 9. You can watch the global sensation television show, Norway’s “The Seven Hour Train Journey to Oslo.”
10. The A380 is very quiet when it lands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQNSAD8GgA